PLEASE NOTE: we can no longer supply this title. Please contact the Abbey Shop if you’d like a copy.
This special history of Tewkesbury Abbey, marking the 900th anniversary of the Abbey’s dedication and consecration in October 1121, traces the story of the building and its community through fire, flood, a raiding party, papal intervention, the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471, two world wars and a pandemic in the twenty-first century.
After the Dissolution of the monasteries, the Abbey was bought by its parishioners and became a parish church. It was reordered and restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott and others in the nineteenth century, and is renowned to this day for its exceptional medieval architecture and stained glass, and for its music and liturgy.
Richly illustrated in colour with specially commissioned photographs, prints and four reconstructions of how the Abbey may have looked in centuries past.
Charles Whitney has been writing on churches, communities and schools in guides and books since 1976. A recent publication on Dean Close School, Cheltenham and the First World War, developed into a research MA. He retired early from his teaching career to complete training for the Church. He was ordained a non-stipendiary minister in 2004, attached to Tewkesbury Abbey.
Hardback | 192 pages | 260 x 204 mm | July 2022