This book marks the 125th Anniversary of the laying of the Cornerstone of Dean Close Memorial School on 11th November 1884. The School opened later in May 1886.
This volume absorbingly chronicles the development of the Dean Close community since then, its Christian ethos, the evolving relationship of the School with the local community and beyond, the emergence of first the Junior (Preparatory) and later the Pre-Preparatory Schools and also the decision to become co-educational. It looks at the effect of outside events such as wars, legislation, the financial problems of the 1930s and the social revolution of the 1960s. How the Preparatory School became the Choir School for Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum is revealed. A chapter is also devoted to Old Decanians.
The text is enhanced by over 150 boxes, each one describing particular details of the school’s story. More than 300 illustrations, together with indexes and an appendix showing the School layout, confirms this book as an invaluable aid to anyone interested in the tale of this remarkable school.
Paperback | 400 pages | 261 x 204 mm | 2009
160 colour and 160 b&w illustrations