PLEASE NOTE: we can no longer supply this title. Please contact the Abbey Shop if you’d like a copy.
Tewkesbury Abbey is an internationally famous example of a Benedictine monastic church, outstanding for its medieval architecture and stained glass, and with a collection of aristocratic tombs and chantries second only to Westminster Abbey.
The completeness of its survival is due to the purchase of the church by the town in 1543, and thereafter follows an eventful history of the abbey as parish church. Thankfully it escaped the excesses of Victorian restoration, even though the modest activities there of Sir George Gilbert Scott from 1875 caused William Morris to found the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
During the 20th century, the abbey established a reputation for fine liturgy and music which continues today. It is the second largest parish church in the country and larger than 16 of the English cathedrals: an object of pride to all Tewkesburians and greatly admired by its many thousands of visitors.
This is the first major book to appear on the abbey for over a century and the most comprehensive ever to be written on the subject. It is designed to be accessible and attractive to anyone with an interest in the abbey and its history, but also presents new research in sufficient depth to be of interest to specialists in church architecture and archaeology.
This wide-ranging book covers the history, art and architecturee of the abbey and its site from pre-Norman beginnings to the year 2002, the 900th anniversary of the arrival of Benedictine monks from Cranborne. It brings together 18 authors, all of them acknowledged experts in their respective fields and in their acquaintance with the abbey.
Paperback | 352 pages | 261 x 204 mm | 2012
Colour and b&w illustrations